Do you ever do things that afterward you think, What the heck was I thinking?
How about travelling with 4 children, for the weekend, to another city to stay in a hotel room, does that sound like fun or a gong show?
Sometimes I can romantisize it and think “what great memories that we are giving the kids”, sometimes it is out of guilt, “that they all will want to go” and sometimes it is because I just want them all to come along. Although it can seem a bit like a gong show at times , here is how I get through it and hopefully make it a great experience!
6 tips to make the weekend a success.
- Book a hotel that has breakfast, this room we just last weekend was a smaller room, actually a room that is too small for all 6 of us. By having the breakfast room available it was the way that the whole experience was doable for us. As we woke up each of us was able to sneak out to the breakfast room so the others could still sleep.
- Take some supplies, before I left the house I tossed in a few paper plates, a bowl and some forks. I knew that we would be eating in the hotel room some and I wanted to have a few items with us to make it easier. We did buy groceries at Costco, these few items I brought helped us to make the meals easier.
- Bring something for the kids to do– Although my children are getting bigger the trip of 2.5 hours can seem to get long. A 2 hour trip seems easier, but that extra half hour just adds the opportunity for some fighting in the van before we get to our final destination .
- Get a hotel room that has enough room for all of you. I usually do this and this time I didn’t… ask for a family room, sometimes the cost is minimal to do the upgrade for more space.
- Get a hotel with a swimming pool, this helps the kids to get tired out as well a way for the family to great exercise.
- Before you leave home – search out what the city has for fun for the kids to do. Each city will have a list on the city website of some of the activities in there city as well Google it and you will find out what other people recommend for you to do in the city that you are going to.
Family time can be fun, but it can also be crazy. I do remind my self many times while in such close quarters that I need to remain calm and patient. EXAMPLE when they continually jump from bed to bed and sometimes jump on the person sitting on the bed. A FUN manager… that is what I become… lol
Enjoy the times you have with your kids, one day not to far in the future, they will no longer be travelling with you. You will think back to the days that you are experiencing now and wonder where the time went.