I arrived home yesterday from a quick weekend trip. Where I live there are very few direct flights anywhere, therefore there is a lot of time spent in airports just waiting and waiting!
How can that time be made into a time of increased fitness and good health while you are surrounded by unhappy travelers and poor food choices.
What kind of food’s are great to toss into your carry on bag? Do you make sure you have something with you that you can grab if a healthy choice is not an option? When I travel I have a few things that I do not leave home without.
- A shaker bottle, I never leave home without it and Shakes. My bag has USANA Nutrimeal shakes for a complete meal replacement if I need it, get water from the flight attendant and shake it up. If you have other kinds of shakes that you use that’s great too, toss them into your carry on bag before heading to the airport.
- Bars, I make sure there is a good stash of bars in my bag. There are all types of bars to choose from, grab something healthy, low in sugar, and good for you. USANA’s Choc Chip snack bar is my favorite. By having something in your bag that is healthy and quick you will be able to keep yourself satisfied and able to resist the poor choices available at most places in the airport.
- Get up during your flight! If your flight is more than 1 hour be sure to get up to at least walk to the bathroom to stretch your legs and let your blood flow.
- SMILE – alot! Smiling always helps my mood. Sometimes is seems no one else is smiling in the airport, make a game out of it and see how many smiles you can get back.
- Go for a walk in the terminal, this may sound crazy but its a great time to put on a few miles . Walk on the electronic walkways, you can walk really fast and it is fun!
- Airports seem to be getting on board with healthier options as well. Yesterday in the airport I noticed some new healthier stores for snacks and food. I was even able to find some Kombucha to drink and a free treadmill that was available with charging stations for you electronics. You can charge and walk at the same time!
Don’t allow travelling to get you off track when it comes to your health and active lifestyle. Embrace the adventure of finding ways to plan ahead, eat healthy and work out while spending those hours in the airport.
Blessings, Kareen Karol